"Behold, children are a heritage frm the LORD, the fruit of the womb a reward." Psalm 127:3

I love bringing forth children... and this is my journey in training them for the King

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Life or Death... What Do Your Words Bring?

I don't want to sound like I'm bragging, (reality is: There's no reason to boast about myself), but (by God's grace) I've been doing much better lately at not yelling at my children... until today! Is it ok to have just 'one of those days'? I mean, we can be justified at yelling and losing our tempers with our children a couple days a month, right? It's bound to happen because we're human, and children can be persistant, blah, blah, blah... right?

And can this possibly have any corrolation to us talking about anger and the power of our tongues today for church? Of course not! *laughing out loud as I look toward the ceiling*

Oh Lord, You always have the perfect message for me at just the right time... *humbled*

This morning after worship, my husband shared this picture with us. He came across it this week on Facebook. Talk about a slap in my face!


I couldn't get this little boy's face out of my head... I have seen this face before on my own children from time to time. With a humble and broken heart I went to e-sword to look up verses for 'tongue'... there were 102! I guess the Lord has much to say about our tongues!! Here are just a few that stuck out to me. I share these not to bring guilt or condemnation to anyone! God has humbled me today, and His Word is exhorting me to be "quick to hear, slow to speak, and slow to anger."

"Look at the ships also: though they are so large and are driven by strong winds, they are guided by a very small rudder wherever the will of the pilot directs. So also the tongue is a small member, yet it boasts of great things... and the tongue is a fire, a world of unrighteousness. The tongue is set among our members, staining the whole body, setting on fire the entire course of life, and set on fire by hell... but no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison. With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse people who are made in the likeness of God. From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things ought not to be so."
-James 3:4-10

"There is one whose rash words are like sword thrusts, but the tongue of the wise brings healing."
-Proverbs 12:18

"A gentle tongue is a tree of life, but perverseness in it breaks the spirit."
-Proverbs 15:4

"Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruits."
-Proverbs 18:21

"She opens her mouth with wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue."
-Proverbs 31:26

I didn't notice the chapter that last one came from until after the fact... It is one of the ones describing the woman who fears the Lord... ouch!

While I am exceedingly thankful that the Lord's mercies are new for me every morning, I don't want to go about my role as Mommy thinking and feeling justified every time I lash out at my children. I want to strive to be the best example of Christ to them as I possibly can! Now, I don't believe this means I don't ever correct or discipline them... absolutely not! That's my responsibility. How I correct and discipline them is more or less what I'm referring to.

I ask you to pray for me to have strength and endurance as I seek to be constantly aware of my words before they pass my lips. While you're at it, why don't you pray for all the moms you know... we could all use an extra dose of the Holy Spirit's power and leading as we teach and train our children! :)

Heart check: Are you quick to hear? Slow to speak? Slow to anger? (James 1:19)




2 comments:

  1. I love this post! I am constantly reminded about the POWER of our tongue...so hard to tame and so in need of taming!

    Praying we will all be wise women who fear the Lord and tame our tongue...bringing LIFE into our homes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer, I just re-posted this on my website. I felt I needed to share it. Thanks again for writing this.

    ReplyDelete