"Behold, children are a heritage frm the LORD, the fruit of the womb a reward." Psalm 127:3

I love bringing forth children... and this is my journey in training them for the King

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Gentle Reminders

This morning I was sitting with coffee in hand studying the Scriptures, asking the Lord for words to share with a group of ladies this weekend, when my little early-riser appeared next to me. It was barely after 6, and I hadn't even been awake for very long.

As you might imagine, I was a little irritated... at myself for not getting up earlier... and at Corbin for getting up so early. He knows the rule is to stay in bed until his clock says 7:00 specifically so Mommy can have alone time with Jesus.

I was on my way to some 'alone time' (I was going to lock myself in the bathroom), when Corbin peeked out the living room curtains. "Wow, Mommy... Look how beautiful the sunrise is this morning!" he said.

His excited expression and sweet words kept running through my mind while I was in lock-down. I couldn't escape him even in there! Then gently, the Spirit spoke to my heart, "Don't miss out on an opportunity to minister to his heart for the sake of ministering to women you don't even know... Go spend time alone with him!"

So I emerged from lock-down to find him sitting outside the bathroom door waiting for me. I asked him if he'd like to have some coffee, tea, hot chocolate... something to share with me while we sat looking at the sunrise and talking. He decided on his 'usual'... a cup of cold milk with a straw. :)

I am so quick to dismiss my children sometimes... To brush them aside when I'm doing something 'important'. Thankfully the Lord has given me a couple sweet friends who are quick to remind me of the 'Good, Better, Best Rule'.

Not everything we do or choose not to do is so black and white. There are things we do that are not good. Mostly, I think, we strive to do the good things in life. However, often times we settle for the 'good' when we could've chosen the 'better' thing. There are even times when we should pass up both the 'good' and the 'better' to go after the BEST choice.

This morning, this rule fit perfectly to my selfish delima. The 'good' choice was to get up and read my Bible period, even though I was tired. The 'better' choice was to study and pray that God would give me words for the sweet ladies I will be speaking to this weekend... but the 'best' choice was not missing out on an opportunity to first minister to my child's heart-need, which just so happened to fall in the same time frame as my 'time with Jesus'. I realize now that I am spending no less 'time with Jesus' by sharing the Father's beautiful, creative sunrise over a cup of something fabulous with my precious son!

Thank you, Katie and Robin, for being faithful to remind me of this practical rule... and thank you, Holy Spirit, for nudging my heart to follow you this morning. It sure was a great memory to create with Corbin!


This wasn't this morning, but from the other day. All three of them crawled up in my dad's old recliner to watch a movie together. Such a sweet picture! :)

2 comments:

  1. I, too have to remind myself that sometimes stopping to hold a child or share a cup of something warm with them is far more likely to be what the Father's requiring of me at that moment...even more than reading his precious words...it's time to put them into practice with my precious gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never thought of it that way. Wonderful advice, and thanks for being so real!

    ReplyDelete